It’s week 2 of the Spring 2017 One Room Challenge and I made some progress! I feel like I can’t waste any time with this space because I know every project planned will end up taking longer than I think.
So this week I started right away by removing all my cabinets doors.
Be prepared for a chaotic picture!
It’s only been a couple days living like this, but seeing all the clutter is making me go crazy! I can’t wait to paint the cabinets and get them back together. I guess the good thing with this chaos it that it’s motivation!
I also removed all the hinges and I plan on replacing them with a white semi-concealed hinge. My old hinges were starting to break, plus I painted them white which hasn’t held up at all. Of course this also means more prep work; I’ll have to fill all the existing holes on the cabinet base.
You can see below how bad the previous paint was. When removing all the doors it pulled up some of the old paint. This just means more prep work, but in the end it will be worth it.
(This post may include affiliate links. If you buy something I receive a small commission of your purchase. Thanks for supporting A Shade of Teal! I only share products I truly love!)
Last week I mentioned that I was going with a Modern Rustic style. I plan to mix rustic coastal with a little farmhouse charm, then incorporate modern finishes. Here’s my inspiration:
Find the sources here:
Counters: River White Granite // Orb Pendant Lighting
Since you now know my inspiration I can share a project I started, the ship-lap accent wall on my peninsula. For past projects I have installed Faux Ship-lap, but for this project I went with actual Tongue-and-groove panels. They’re definitely harder to work with, especially if the wood is warped.
I decided to only go as far as my counter, it’s hard to see in this pic but the wall continues for another foot.
Once the wall went up I had a huge dilemma. What do I do with the molding? of course if I was starting from scratch I would have never added molding, but in this case I just worked around it.
The wall will most likely be a aqua/teal color so having a contrast wall against white molding would look silly. So after debating what to do I decided to add an extra wood strip to act like new molding. See below.
It looks so much more finished now! I still need to caulk in the seams and joints, but this guy should be painted by next week!
So there is my week 2 recap! I also wanted to introduce my amazing sponsors that are helping me get this room done.
Finally, if you haven’t heard about the One Room Challenge its hosted by Calling It Home and the challenge goes on for 6 weeks where I’ll update you each week with the progress I’ve made. Make sure to check out the other linking participants HERE.
Thanks for stopping by!
The room is complete! Check out all the progress here:
If you want to check out my past One Room Challenge’s you can find them here:
Pinterest // Facebook // Etsy // Instagram // Twitter // Bloglovin